Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Snapshots

I didn't totally understand Jane Waggoner Deschner's artwork until a presentation she gave in one of my classes. I knew she was a fairly accomplished and experienced artist, but I didn't understand why an old snapshot could even be considered "fine art." Jane's explanation of her work totally inspired me and changed my view of photography. I previously felt in order for a shot to be meaningful or seen as fine art it must be taken using professional quality techniques and equipment.  Jane offered a quote by Nan Golden that really helped me relate to her work; "The snapshot is the form of photography that is most defined by love. People take them out of love, and they take them to remember- people, places, times. They're about creating a history by recording a history."

Today, people see snapshots every day, whether on a fridge, photo album, or on websites like Facebook. We all have grown so accustomed to seeing snapshots that we have been desensitized to the true nature of them. The introduction of digital cameras has also robbed a bit of the nostalgia associated photographs by making it so easy to do. I think if where to pursue photography in the future I would strictly shoot subjects that I truly love, using older equipment, that requires time and care to develop. By doing so I would become much more personally attached to my work. It would also take a form of art I consider a bit technical to another level by connecting with one of the purest forms of human emotion; Love.   

No comments:

Post a Comment