Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Surf Photography

I have always been amazed by surf photographers, they have got have one of the most difficult jobs in the industry. Many people appreciate the skillful risk taking surfers display in photographs, but overlook the guy taking the shot. Those guys are out there lugging cameras in the same elements, and get no recognition.  I would conclude that photographing surfers is a cool sport in itself.

So for this reason I chose to read a beginners surf photography tutorial by Ryan Cardone.  The part of the tutorial that caught my interest was the equipment section. The equipment is expensive in itself, plus you must factor in the price underwater housing. The cost of getting started in surf photography is hefty, so for a hobbyist it's hard to justify the investment. So to solve this problem the author suggests using underwater disposable camera or an Olympus underwater point and shoot. This statement totally inspired me because I have an Olympus stylus underwater camera, which I haven't found much use for underwater in the past.

Next time I'm on the coast I'm going to leave the board on the beach, and try to stay out of the surfers way as I snap shots of them.       

No comments:

Post a Comment